HISTORY OF THE SHED

The Engine Shed that now houses the PLBC was built in 1914 at the outbreak of World War 1 to provide power for two large searchlights
protecting the Heads from enemy raiders. The two Gardner diesel engines were mounted on large concrete blocks which are still in the shed today.
See if you can find them!

A SHORT HISTORY OF THE ENGINE SHED

The 34th Fortress Company manned the lights and fortifications and was housed in the camp later occupied by Toc H.

In World War 2 lost local fishermen found their way home through the Heads thanks to the lights and alerted Fort Queenscliff to the danger of Japanese Submarines doing likewise. The lights were replaced by Infra Red pulses.

After World War 2 the shed served a number of purposes until falling into disrepair and being boarded up in the 1980’s. In 2014, after 30 years of neglect, the Point Lonsdale Boardriders Club obtained a lease on the building from the Borough of Queenscliffe and restored the Shed through countless hours of voluntary labour and skills.

The PLBC celebrated its 50th year in June 2014 by opening the shed as a valuable community asset. It was also the Shed’s 100th birthday.

Pics courtesy of Queenscliffe Historical Society and Fort Queenscliff Museum.